History



The first written mentioning of the Prem Castle dates into the 13th century. The first owners of the castle at that time were the Lords of Duino, vassals of the Patriarch of Aquileia. In the year 1399 the family became extinct and the estates were taken over by the Walsee family.

The first written mentioning of the Prem Castle dates into the 13th century. The first owners of the castle at that time were the Lords of Duino, vassals of the Patriarch of Aquileia. In the year 1399 the family became extinct and their estates were taken over by the Walsee family. In the 15th century the Walsee family was forced to sell certain estates to the Habsburgs. The castle was thus, since 1472, owned by the Habsburgs who gave it in feudum to many noble families during their reign. The most important among them was the Portia family. They owned the castle until the beginning of the 20th century. In 1927 Bruno Zuccolin, a doctor from Trieste, bought it as a ruin, thoroughly renovated it and turned it into a summer residence. After the world war II the castle, like any other similar buildings, was nationalized. From 1970 to 2008 several restoration works were carried out as the castle was badly damaged after the war.

 


   back